The Illawarra-Shoalhaven Medicare Local is a not-for-profit organisation that offers a diverse range of primary health care services, through service brokerage and direct delivery and purchasing to improve the health outcomes of our community.
The role of the Illawarra-Shoalhaven Medicare Local is to lead and support the primary health care sector to achieve significant improvements in the health and wellbeing of our population. Our role is to collaborate with existing providers to ensure integrated service delivery and to enhance and develop service delivery where gaps are identified.
The Illawarra-Shoalhaven Medicare Local is responsible for understanding the needs of the local community in order to identify service gaps and health system improvements to improve coordination of service delivery and access to health care services for the community.
Illawarra-Shoalhaven Medicare Local activity will include:
- Developing baseline data on the health profile, health needs, workforce, service gaps and service duplication for the region in collaboration with the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications and marketing strategy to engage with partners, stakeholders and the community
- Support general practitioner and allied health member engagement
- Identify and implement initiatives to improve the integration of care in mental health, aged care, chronic disease and Indigenous health
- Improve systems and tools to support the primary care sector such as e-health
- Develop, implement and prioritise after-hours service planning for the region
- Maintain quality and regularly update the National Health Service Directory
- The ongoing operation of headspace Illawarra and headspace Shoalhaven, Bomaderry Wellness Centre, Shell Cove Family Health, Nowra GP Super Clinic, Perinatal Depression Service, Mental Health Nurse Service, Connecting Care, Journey to Health Care coordination services for ATSI
- Brokering services with existing providers to deliver health care